This homemade cranberry sauce is absolutely refreshing. It’s wonderful to be able to control the type and amount of sweetener added. I try to use liquid sweeteners instead of crystalized sugars as the nutritive properties tend to be higher. In this sauce you can us honey, agave or even maple syrup as your sweetener.
- 1 Cup Cranberries (Frozen or fresh)
- 1 Cup Apple (Shredded)
- 1 Cup Apple juice
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 3tbsp Apple juice
- 1/2 cup Agave (if desired)
- Combine cranberries, shredded apple, and 1 cup of apple juice in a medium sized pot. Cook over a medium temperature while stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a boil and berries have softened.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons apple juice. Add to the hot cranberry.
- Next add the liquid sweetener
- Stir constantly and cook over a medium heat until mixture returns to a boil. Simmer for about 1 minute or until cranberry sauce has thickened and turned to a clear red color.
- Place cranberry sauce in a bowl and chill.
Adapted from The Optimal Diet by Dr. Hans Diehl ( Pro Tip – Every plant based foodie should have a copy of this book)